“We will never buy BBQ sauce from the store again! No broth in this recipe but this is the PERFECT accompaniment to our Easy Gluten Free Sausage Rolls. Or anything really”
Prep 10 mins | Cook 1 hour | Makes about 4 cups
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small tin (170g) tomato paste
- 1 tin (396g) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (I made my own)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp organic Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 fresh jalapeños (can omit if you are sensitive to chilli)
- 1 cup water
- Mince onion, garlic and ginger in your blender or food processor. Add all remaning ingredients and blitz until completely reduced to a fine, liquid puree.
- Transfer liquid to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn down the heat and simmer partly covered, for around 60 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Continue to simmer until the sauce is thick and a nice dark colour
- Turn off the heat and allow sauce to cool to room temperature
- If you like a finer / smoother BBQ sauce feel free to push it through a sieve till you arrive at the consistency you like. You will to manually push it through with the back of a spoon.
- Transfer into glass jars and store in the fridge. It will keep for up to 3 weeks.